My mind is the perfect Buddha.

My speech is the perfect teaching.

My body is the perfect spiritual community

-Buddhist meditation

Saturday, August 9, 2014

Family Stories



Well, it has been awhile since I used this account.  In fact the only reason I had the account was a challenge that the library I worked at issued.  The title of my blog was my hint of derision towards Admin (dunh dunh DUNH - that's evil music in the background).  I am long retired from there but now I have an actual use for this account so here goes.......

52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks



In January 2014, I issued the 52 Ancestors in 52 Weeks Challenge. The premise: write once a week about a specific ancestor. It could be a story, a biography, a photograph, a research problem — any that focuses on that one ancestor. The next week, write about a different ancestor. In 52 weeks, you’ll have taken a closer look at 52 people in your family tree… and maybe learned a little bit more about them in the process. (Oh, yeah, and hopefully develop a regular writing habit in the process!)



How can you participate? Easy:



1. If I included you in the Week 1 recap, I have you in Feedly (my current favorite blog reader). If  I didn’t list you, leave your blog in the comments below.



2. Blog about a specific ancestor. If you want that post to be included in the weekly recap (published on Wednesdays), be sure to include “52 Ancestors” in the title, such as “52 Ancestors: #1 Adah Young Johnson.”



3. The weekly recap is published on Wednesday. If you want the post to be in that week’s recap, please publish before Tuesday at 8:00pm (Eastern). And by “publish before Tuesday at 8:00pm Eastern,” I mean “Please feel free to publish long before Tuesday night at 8:00. Try Tuesday at 8:00am…  or Monday… or the Friday before…” ;)



4. If you happen to be on Twitter or Google Plus, please use the #52ancestors hashtag.



5. Enjoy :)

From http://www.nostorytoosmall.com/

Thanks to my brother, Ted, for getting me started in genealogy.  I love puzzles and mysteries; and, now I have all the puzzles and mysteries I want!  Each week, hopefully, I will write about one of my ancestors or one of their family members.  It will probably be someone I have 'crush' on; or, someone whose story is so small that they get lost in the larger drama of life.  Mostly, for now, this blog will be for my family so that the current generations will have some insights into their history without all the charting and record keeping.

First ancestor will be Eli Wilkes Heath; and I will write about him by Monday.

If you subscribed from the old library days, feel free to stay around.

No comments:

Post a Comment